Here’s a dairy-free, caramel sauce that won’t send your blood sugar through the roof thanks to the added fiber and protein. Though not as sticky as regular caramel sauce (this is a plus right?), it is as silky smooth and tastes just as AMAZING. Great for dipping apples, over your favoritenice cream or dessert!
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- About 3/4 C coconut cream (skimmed from 1 can of coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, slightly packed
1/2 – 1.5 Tbsp Growing Naturals vanilla rice protein(use to taste)**
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- dash of salt (optional)
- Set the can of coconut milk in the freezer for about an hour or in the fridge overnight, so that the cream part hardens at the top.
- Place the brown sugar in a small sauce pan and set over low to medium heat.
- Once the sugar starts to melt add the coconut cream and stir constantly until the cream has melted and mixed thoroughly with the sugar.
- Continue to heat and stir just below a simmer–the mixture will start to thicken and darken.
- Once it has darkened to a caramel color, lower the heat, then stir in the flax meal and salt.
- Then, using a small mesh colander/strainer gently sift the protein powder in while stirring (This is important because it will allow the protein to mix easily–otherwise you’ll end up with clumps in your sauce).
- Once mixed thoroughly, pour into a glass container and allow to cool for a few minutes. Note: The mixture will remain soft/liquidy for a while, but may harden slightly if the room temp is too cold. You can always reheat it in the sauce pan or microwav
** You can substitute with Original unflavored rice protein, but you should add 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract to the sauce)
Calories 121, Protein 1.8 grams, Sugar 8.8 grams, Carbs 11 grams, Fat 8.5 grams, Fiber 1 grams