What does a “Power Bowl” entail exactly, you may be wondering? In Bubble World, it’s a bowl full of gluten free, allergy friendly, vegan wholesome fabulousness, i.e. a harmonious blend of nutrition that packs a hearty punch and is good for your heart too!
The key to a powerful Power Bowl include the following rockstar ingredients:
- Protein use your favorite allergy friendly protein powder to start your day on the right foot. I happen to love Growing Naturals Vanilla Blast Rice Protein Powder
- Carbohydrate the options are endless for this key component of your Power Bowl! From oatmeal to quinoa flakes and hot rice cereal to any ancient grain, the possibilities go on.
Fat contrary to popular belief, fat is an essential part of our diet…good fat, that is! Add a spoonful of your favorite seed or nut butter
[allergy friendly, of course!] or a drizzle of chia seed or flax oil, which will help you stay full longer, and just as importantly fuel your brain all morning long.
- Fiber my favorite fibers also add great fat, protein, and flavor. No Bubble Girl Power Bowl is complete without at least a spoonful of ground flaxseed or chia seed! Fiber is essential to heart health.
- Fruit this element of your Power Bowl has the freedom to vary each and every day, dependent on your mood and which fruits are in season. I, myself, fancy berry-based Power Bowls and also love a good bowlful of dried fruit. Then, of course, there are the fabulous, vitamin packed fruits like bananas, mangos, peaches, pears…the list goes on!
- Flavor Boost add a touch of cinnamon, a pinch a cardamom, or a teaspoon of Maca powder for an extra boost of flavor. Play with these flavors based on the fruits in your bowl! A dash of nutmeg does wonders when using pumpkin or dates; ginger adds a great kick with fresh apples.
The combination of protein, fiber and whole grain carbs makes this recipe excellent for heart health. Here are more "Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet for Heart Health."
Fresh Cherry Fig Power Bowl
1 power bowl
- 1 serving instant oatmeal
1 scoop Growing Naturals vanilla rice or pea protein
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed or chia seed
- 1 teaspoon Maca powder [optional]
- pinch of cinnamon
- ½ cup – ⅔ cup boiling water
- ½ cup fresh cherries, halved & pitted
- 2 fresh figs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar [optional]
- In a small mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients [oatmeal, protein powder, Maca powder, flaxseed or chia seed, cinnamon] in a bowl and mix well.
- Slowly add boiling water and stir until well combined; add additional water as needed until mixture is smooth.
- Top with cherries and figs and drizzle with maple syrup or agave nectar for added sweetness.
Calories 448, Protein 34 grams, Sugar 28 grams, Carbs 70 grams, Fat 7 grams, Fiber 15 grams