Spicy Tomato Rosemary Scones
- 1 cup chickpea/garbanzo flour (naturally high in protein and fiber!)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (may substitute with other flours, but may affect crumb/structure).
1.5 scoop Growing Naturals original rice protein (can substitute with original pea protein)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1.5 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper (or cracked pepper to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prep a small baking sheet with either cooking spray or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in there. Using a wooden spoon or spatula slowly fold the dry mix from the outside of the bowl into the wet center, taking care not to over-mix. It should form a slightly sticky dough, if too sticky add a little flour.
- Using your spoon, form the dough into a ball, then turn it out onto a sheet of lightly floured wax paper.
- Place another sheet of wax paper ontop and pat it down in a circle form until it’s about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. (You can make them thicker, but this will result in fewer scones).
- Remove the top sheet then cut 3-4 lines through the circle (like a pizza) using a floured butter knife or pizza cutter before each cut. You should have 6-8 scone wedges.
- Transfer them onto your baking sheet 1-2 inches apart and bake for 12-14 minutes, until a toothpick turns out clean.
- Once cooled store in an airtight container to retain moisture or freeze and reheat as needed.
Calories 132, Protein 7 grams, Sugar 3 grams, Carbs 15 grams, Fat 5.3 grams, Fiber 3 grams