Hearty Butternut Squash and Bean Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3-3.5 Cups puree)
- 1 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 quart veggie or chicken broth (use veggie broth for a vegan recipe)
1 packed scoop Growing Naturals original, unflavored pea protein*
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 dashes of cayenne or red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare baking dish lined with aluminum foil.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Using your knife, score or poke several holes in the neck of the squash (where there are no seeds).
- Spray or brush the squash liberally with olive oil and place face up on the baking dish.
- Bake for 60-80 minutes until the squash is thoroughly tender. Then let cool off for about 15 minutes.
- Scrape the insides of the squash using a large spoon and process until smooth using some of the broth to help puree it.
- Puree the can of beans using more broth as needed.
- Place the pureed squash, beans, plus additional ingredients in a medium stock pot and cook on medium-low heat until just starting to simmer.
- Let simmer for a few minutes stirring constantly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Add more or less protein, as needed for taste preferences or nutritional needs. Pea protein will thicken the soup, so add broth as needed when using more protein.
Calories 174, Protein 10.5 grams, Sugar 6.3 grams, Carbs 32 grams, Fat 1.8 grams, Fiber 10.2 grams