Want to increase your protein intake, eat less animal-based proteins, or explore new foods? Plant-based protein sources are great options!
Plant-based proteins are moderate to high in protein but also rich in fiber, vitamins, ,minerals and phytonutrients like antioxidants.
Adding them to your diet can help you reach your health and wellness goals, and we're here to show you how!
Let's get cooking!
Understanding plant-based protein sources
When it comes to plant-based protein sources, there are many options.
Some of the most popular include beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, and, don't forget, plant-based protein powders.
These are not only high in protein but also rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This makes them a nutritious addition to any diet, ensuring you get all the necessary nutrients.
Plant-based proteins are also often more cost-effective than animal-based proteins, making them an excellent option for those on a budget.
Easy ways to add plant-based protein to your diet
Adding more plant-based protein to your diet doesn't have to be intimidating or complicated. There are so many easy ways to integrate it into your meals.
Let's take a look!
Incorporate plant-based protein powder into your diet
Plant-based protein powder is a great way to get extra protein in your diet.
It's easy to blend into smoothies, oatmeal, baked goods, yogurt, casseroles, soups and more.
Plant-based protein smoothies
Add a scoop of plant-based protein powder to your smoothie, blend, and enjoy.
They're a great way to add a creamy texture to smoothies without dairy.
Protein powders come in various flavors, so you can find one to suit your taste buds.
Adding plant-based protein to your breakfast
There are plenty of plant-based proteins that can be added to your breakfast.
- Add plant protein powders, nuts, or seeds to oatmeal or smoothies.
- Try unsweetened yogurt topped with granola, fruit, and chia seeds for something fresh.
- You can make a tofu scramble or a vegan Quiché for a protein-packed breakfast.
Snacking on plant-based proteins
Snacks are perfect for getting you through the energy dips during the day. Here's how to make them more protein-filled.
- Make your own trail mix with nuts, seeds, and dried fruit, or try snacking on roasted chickpeas.
- Amp up your apples and bananas with unsweetened nut or seed butter.
- Hummus and edamame are also great sources of plant-based protein.
- Try nutritional yeast popcorn.
- Make energy balls/bites with your favorite plant-based protein powders.
Plant-based protein for lunch and dinner
There are plenty of recipes to add plant-based proteins to your main meals.
- Use quinoa or bulgur as a base for salads or grain bowls.
- Make a veggie stir-fry using edamame, chickpeas, and/or tofu.
- Make a black bean burger patty and top it with your favorite veggies.
- Try a vegan chili with beans, lentils, and veggies.
- Make a veggie-packed lasagna with eggplant and mushrooms.
- Try a vegan macaroni and cheese with sweet potatoes.
- Bake a vegan shepherd's pie with lentils and mushrooms.
Tips for meal planning with plant-based protein
Meal planning with plant-based protein can seem daunting at first, but it doesn't have to be. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Start small and focus on one or two weekly meals with plant-based proteins.
- Make a list of all your favorite plant-based proteins.
- Mix up your protein sources to ensure you're getting a complete amino acid profile.
- Use plant-based protein powders to create snacks and meals that are both nutritious and delicious.
Overcoming common challenges of switching to plant-based protein
Switching to plant-based proteins can be challenging at first, but with the right knowledge, it can be a smooth transition. Here are some common challenges and tips for overcoming them:
Not getting enough protein – mix up your protein sources and add plant-based protein powder to your diet to ensure you're getting all you need.
Not knowing what to make – use plant-based proteins as a substitute for animal-based proteins in your favorite recipes and look for plant-based recipes online.
Not enough time – use easy, budget-friendly recipes and prepare meals ahead of time.
What plant-based protein powder recipe will you try first?
Get your perfect plant-based protein powder today!