Makes approximately 2 cups of vegan cheese sauce
- 8-10 oz of your choice pasta*
- 1.5 Cups potatoes, chopped
- 3/4 Cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup water, reserved from cooked potatoes/carrots
- 1-3 Tbsp olive oil (use lower range if you want to cut calories, but this certainly adds to creaminess)
- 5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2-3 Tbsp Growing Naturals original pea protein (to your taste preference or nutritional need, also helps to thicken and bind sauce)
- 1.5 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2-4/3 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 mild jalapeno, chopped (optional)
*Nutritional info below does not include pasta because nutrition content varies from type to type (gluten-free, wheat, legume-based, etc). Please review the nutrition facts for the pasta you decide to use.
**Each tbsp of pea protein original unflavored contains approximately 6g protein
- Cook pasta as directed, drain and set aside.
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a small pot and cover with water. Cook on medium heat until tender. Reserve 1 cup of water from the pot.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the carrots and potatoes into a food processor and process until smooth, slowly pouring in half a cup of water.
- Add the rest of the water and additional ingredients (except for protein powder and jalapenos) and process until thoroughly mixed.
- Add protein powder in 1/2 tbsp at a time until your reach your desired taste. Please note the more protein you use, the more reserved water you may want to add since pea protein both absorbs and thickens liquids over time.
- Pour the “cheese” sauce over the pasta and add the chopped jalapenos.
- Reheat as needed.
Recipe Courtesy of Scarlett Full, in-house Registered Dietitian