For many of you (myself included), 4th of July might automatically mean “cheat meal” or even “cheat day.” And while that is perfectly ok, you don’t want to let the celebratory indulges become a slippery slope for unhealthy eating. Start your morning with a good sweaty workout, then cool off with this patriotic smoothie bowl! At 21g plant protein per serving, it contains antioxidant blueberries, cherries (also great for recovering sore muscles), banana and even some ginger to up the anti-inflammatory effect. Cheers to our health and our freedom!
Makes 2 servings
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- half of a frozen banana
- 1.5 scoops Growing Naturals vanilla rice protein (or substitute with pea protein)
- 1/2 cup orange juice (optional)
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (flaxmeal)
- Place all ingredients except protein powder in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Add protein powder and pulse until thoroughly mixed. Add ice as needed if you want a thicker smoothie.
- Pour into bowls and top with extra fruit.
This recipe is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free
Recipe Courtesy of Scarlett Full, in-house Registered Dietitian