This deliciously creamy Middle Eastern dip contains very little protein, which is not ideal if you (like me) want to enjoy it as your main course. A whole eggplant contains only 4g protein and tahini is 2.5g protein per tbsp. The unflavored pea or rice proteins are perfect combination for a savory recipe like this one!
Makes 1-2 servings
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2-3 tbsp. Growing Naturals Original Rice Protein or Original Pea Protein (18g protein!)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
- Juice from ½ large lemon
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400. Pierce the eggplant with a fork all around. Place on a cookie sheet and roast until the skin has wrinkled and the interior is tender, 20-30 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel and seed the eggplant. (I left my seeds in for added texture and fiber J). Roughly chop the flesh and place in a food processor.
- Add olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper and process until smooth. Then add the protein powder and process until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Enjoy with pita bread!
Recipe courtesy of Scarlett Full, in-house Registered Dietitian