When the weather starts to cool off (like mid 30s and 40s) and piles of leaves are on the floor, it just feels wrong to make ice cold smoothies for breakfast–plus they’re definitely not as satisfying. This is when I start to crave the hot, cinnamon-y, porridg-y type foods to warm me up. Oatmeal is usually my go-to porridge, but you can only eat oatmeal so many times and then your taste buds want something different (at least mine do). So today I decided to give quinoa a try–and man was it delish! I never thought of it as a contender for breakfast, but it definitely raises the porridge bar–it has a little over 8g of protein per 1 cooked cup, versus 5.5g for 1 cup of cooked oatmeal–and 1 more gram of fiber than oatmeal–a win win if you ask me. Plus I mayyyy even prefer the texture of the quinoa to oats–just sayin. Anyway, here is my Fall-inspired take on breakfast quinoa. With a little added protein, this hearty bowl is sure to power you for an entire morning!
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked (about 1/2 cup dried)
- 1/2 -3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or your choice milk)
- 1-2 Tbsp Growing Naturals vanilla rice protein* (or substitute with pea protein)
- 1 tsp coconut cream (optional but adds creaminess)
- 3-4 dashes of cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp chopped pecans
* Each tbsp of vanilla rice protein contains about 5.3g protein (adjust nutritional info as used)
- Cook quinoa as directed.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and reheat as needed.
Recipe Courtesy of Scarlett Full, in-house Registered Dietitian