Makes just over 5 cups soup
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3-3.5 Cups puree)
- 1 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 quart veggie or chicken broth (use veggie broth for a vegan recipe)
- 1 packed scoop Growing Naturals original, unflavored pea protein*
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 dashes of cayenne or red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
*Add more or less protein, as needed for taste preferences or nutritional needs. Pea protein will thicken the soup, so add broth as needed when using more protein.
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare baking dish lined with aluminum foil.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Using your knife, score or poke several holes in the neck of the squash (where there are no seeds).
- Spray or brush the squash liberally with olive oil and place face up on the baking dish.
- Bake for 60-80 minutes until the squash is thoroughly tender. Then let cool off for about 15 minutes.
- Scrape the insides of the squash using a large spoon and process until smooth using some of the broth to help puree it.
- Puree the can of beans using more broth as needed.
- Place the pureed squash, beans, plus additional ingredients in a medium stock pot and cook on medium-low heat until just starting to simmer.
- Let simmer for a few minutes stirring constantly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Courtesy of Scarlett Full, in-house Registered Dietitian