A.M. ENERGY & P.M. RESTORE INGREDIENTS
Organic Brown Rice Protein – Oryzatein®
As the main ingredient in both AM Energy and PM Restore, this patented rice protein is derived from organic brown rice sourced from around the world and is digested with ease being free of gluten and all major allergens. It’s also non-GMO and unlike other rice proteins, features an impressively grit-free, smooth texture. It is processed in USA using water plus natural enzymes and absolutely no chemicals. Oryzatein® brown rice protein is the only rice protein with clinical studies supporting its effectiveness at building and maintaining muscle mass in both college and pro athletes.
Pea Protein – VegOtein™
Deliciously creamy and bland, VegOtein™ pea protein is the secondary protein source in both AM Energy and PM Restore and is perfect complement to rice protein’s amino acid profile helping to achieve a complete plant protein. It is made from Canadian non-GMO peas and processed mechanically without the use of any chemical solvents.
As most Americans don’t get nearly enough fiber in their diets, we’ve made it easier to help reach your daily fiber goal with 5g per serving in each the AM Energy and PM Restore. Derived from organic agave plants grown in Mexico, inulin is the main source of fiber in both AM and PM formulas. Specifically, inulin is a prebiotic fiber which fertilizes and helps the health-promoting bacteria in your gut thrive. Research has linked healthy gut flora to digestive health, immune health, heart health, blood sugar control and more.
Organic Cane Sugar
We’ve gone back to basics with this classic sweetener, without which grandma’s chocolate chip cookies wouldn’t be the same. Our raw cane sugar is derived from 100% certified organic sugar canes grown in Paraguay. The juice from the sugar canes is extracted, partially clarified and dried into its crystallized form. Unlike white, refined sugar which is stripped of all traces of molasses, raw cane sugar retains some molasses giving it its characteristic blonde to light caramel color.
Natural Flavor (Mocha and Dark Chocolate)
Our natural flavors are all plant-based, non-GMO and allergen-friendly ingredients which help to create the mocha flavor (in AM) and dark chocolate flavor (in PM) without the use of expensive “extracts.” They consist of the essential oils, essences, oleoresins and/or flavoring constituents derived from coffee beans and cocoa beans added onto gum acacia (a neutral and allergen-friendly powder) as the flavor carrier.
Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
Made from the sap of coconut trees—this sugar has been classified as a low glycemic sweetener by the Philippines Food and Nutrition Research Institute, which means it won’t raise your blood sugar like other sweeteners. Coconut palm sugar comes together with rice syrup solids and cane sugar (albeit in small quantities) to offer the perfect level of sweetness in AM Energy.
Organic Rice Syrup Solids
Derived from rice and processed all naturally using only enzymes, this is the major by-product of rice protein production. It is named so because it starts off as a syrup which is then dried into “solid” form. Combined with cane and coconut palm sugar in our AM formula, this trio of sweeteners give the formula a unique sweetness that is sure to delight the taste buds.
Medium Chain Tryglycerides (MCT)
Named after its chemical structure, MCTs contain 6-12 carbon atoms unlike short chain (less than 6) and long chain fatty acids (greater than 12 carbon atoms). The benefits of MCTs have been attributed to its chain length, making it faster for the body to break down and absorb than long chain fatty acids. This means they can be used as an instant source of energy and less likely to be stored as fat. The MCTs are produced in the USA and derived from coconut oil and palm kernel oil.
Organic Cocoa Powder
Adding a rich chocolaty taste to both AM and PM, this decadent ingredient is made simply by defatting the cocoa beans and pulverizing the remaining “cake” into a very fine powder. It is made from cocoa beans grown in various tropical countries (Côte d’Ivoire, Cameroon, Indonesia, Ghana, and Brazil). Cocoa powder is a natural superfood being a rich source of minerals like magnesium, potassium, iron and phosphorous as well as fiber and powerful antioxidants. It’s no wonder dark chocolate has been linked to a host of health benefits.
Each serving of AM provides the same amount of caffeine as what is found in an average cup of Joe (100mg). This natural energy booster is derived from the beans of the Coffea Robusta plant from Italy which is naturally higher in caffeine than the Arabica variety.
Harvested from the waters of San Francisco Bay, our sea salt is crystallized through evaporation using the vacuum pan production method. Absolutely nothing is added to the salt. It is used in very small quantities for both the AM and PM to enhance each product’s natural flavor.
Green Tea Extract (50% EGCg)
Epigallocatechin gallate (aka EGCg) is a type of catechin and one of the most powerful bioactive compounds in green tea leaves. Catechins have anti-oxidant properties which can reduce the formation of free radicals in the body and protect cells from cellular damage. These antioxidant effects are the reason green tea is known to be protective against various conditions such as cancers, neurological diseases, cardiovascular diseases and more. This extract is derived from 100% green tea leaves (camellia sinensis L).
Vitamins and Minerals
Essential to good health, vitamins and minerals work synergistically to perform hundreds of roles in the body on a daily basis. From helping to turn your food into energy to strengthening bones and supporting your immune health, vitamins and minerals make this all possible. The AM mix provides about 20-30% of the daily value of the following to supplement what you might not be getting from food:
- Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate) –used mainly to support your teeth and skeletal structure
- Magnesium (as magnesium oxide) –helps keep a steady heartbeat and may help to regulate blood pressure; involved in over 300 biochemical reactions in the body; plays a role in brain function and mood; helps to regulate blood sugar and more
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) – supports the formation of healthy skin, cartilage and other soft tissue; helps to heal wounds; promotes healthy immune functioning
- Vitamin E (as di-alpha-tocopheryl acetate) – an antioxidant which protects the body’s cells from damaging free radicals
- Biotin – part of the B complex vitamins, biotin helps to convert food into usable energy; also known to help strengthen hair and nails
- Vitamin B3 (as niacinamide) – helps to convert food into usable energy; supports healthy liver, skin hair and eyes; supports the nervous system
- Zinc (as zinc oxide) – supports the immune system; helps with wound healing; helps growing bodies develop
- Vitamin A (as acetate) – promotes good vision; helps to form healthy bones, teeth and skin
- Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate) – helps to convert food into usable energy; needed to help make red blood cells and some hormones
- Vitamin D2 (as ergocalciferol) – supports healthy bones and reduces fractures; supports immune and neuromuscular system. Note D2 is the plant-based source of vitamin D
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) – helps to convert food into usable energy; helps the body make neurotransmitters and supports brain function; regulates homocysteine levels, an amino acid linked to heart disease; works closely with B12 to make red blood cells
- Vitamin B1 (as thiamine mononitrate) – helps to convert food into usable energy; supports the immune and nervous systems
- Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin) – helps to convert food into usable energy; acts as an antioxidant to protect cells from free radicals; important for red blood cell production
- Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) – helps to convert food into usable energy; supports DNA/RNA production; maintains healthy nerve cells; works closely with folate to make red blood cells
- Folic Acid – part of the B complex vitamins; helps to convert food into usable energy; critical for normal brain function; aids in production of DNA/RNA; especially important for growing bodies
- Iodine (as potassium iodide) – supports normal thyroid function; helps produce thyroid hormones; assists in converting food to energy
Known widely for its calming effect, this ancient medicinal herb dates back thousands of years having been used to treat a variety of ailments from insomnia to gastrointestinal disorders. Chamomile flowers contain a host of beneficial bioactive compounds, the most prominent being apigenin. Apigenin produces anxiety-reducing effects and has also been well-studied as an anti-cancer compound. Chamomile is part of the PM sleep aid and made with flowers cultivated in both Mexico and Egypt.
This mildly citrus-smelling herb is actually part of the mint family. It’s been used since before the Middle Ages and used to be steeped in wine to help heal wounds, promote sleep and more. Much like chamomile, lemon balm also promotes relaxation by reducing stress and anxiety. It’s also a large source of phenolic compounds which play an important role in cancer prevention and health promotion. Lemon balm is part of the PM sleep aid and is sourced from USA, Poland and Albania.
Organic Guar Gum
A type of soluble fiber, guar gum is added in very minimal quantities to the PM formula (<1.5%) for functional purposes: to help provide a creamy mouthfeel experience once the powder is mixed with liquid. Such miniscule amounts do not produce digestive side effects. It is derived from guar beans sourced from India.
This essential amino acid cannot be made in the body and must be obtained by eating dietary proteins. Despite being found naturally in the rice and pea proteins, we’ve added extra phenylalanine, as this amino acid is helps to regulate ‘happy hormones’ like dopamine, which helps to control the brain’s reward and pleasure center, and serotonin which helps to balance mood.
L-Theanine is an amino acid found almost exclusively in teas (like green tea) and known primarily for its relaxing-without-sedating effects. Unlike some amino acids, it can’t be made in the body. L-theanine is said to work by increasing alpha-1 brain waves, which are linked to a state of relaxation.
Derived from the African shrub Griddonia simplicifolia, 5-HTP is a compound the body uses to make serotonin and from serotonin make melatonin. Serotonin is known as one of the “feel good” neurotransmitters, or brain-signaling chemicals and is linked to happiness and anti-depression. Melatonin helps control your sleep and wake cycles. Though the body can make 5-HTP from tryptophan (an essential amino acid found in protein foods), certain conditions like inflammation or depression may increase the need for 5-HTP. Without enough serotonin the body cannot make enough melatonin which can lead to sleep problems of all kinds.
Melatonin is a hormone made in the body which plays a key role in regulating when you fall asleep and when you wake up. Certain stressors or health conditions may affect the amount of melatonin produced in the body leading to abnormal sleep patterns. At 1mg per serving in the PM formula, melatonin along with the other natural sleep/relax aids can help you to reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep, increase the number of sleeping hours and thus boost your daytime alertness.