For the crust:
- 1 lb. of cauliflower (I used Trader Joe’s frozen bag of “cauliflower rice” but you can also steam fresh cauliflower, grate it and squeeze all the moisture out)
- 1/2 cup of almond flour (also called almond meal)
- 1 scoop Growing Naturals Original rice protein
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 8 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- spices such as pepper, oregano, and garlic powder to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
For the pesto sauce:
- 2 bunches of fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves of garlic
- juice of one lemon
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flax meal along with 8 TBSP of water. Whisk these up and let sit for a few minutes as they will be your “egg replacement.”
- Add the almond flour and the protein powder along with the other dry ingredients and spices.
- Rinse the frozen cauliflower rice until thawed and squeeze all the excess liquid out (using a fine mesh colander or cheesecloth) until it is as dry as possible. Alternately, you can steam a pound of fresh cauliflower, blend it in a food processor and then squeeze the liquid out of that in the same process.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the bowl with dry ingredients and begin forming it into a dough ball. Add the coconut oil at this point since it may get little sticky. Form into a dough ball and roll it out thinly onto a pan lined with parchment paper (non stick and easy cleanup tip).
- Bake for about 10 min.
- While the crust bakes, add all pesto ingredients into a food processor and process thoroughly. Set aside.
- After 10 minutes is up, remove crust from oven and top with pesto and your choice chopped veggies. Pop the topped pizza in the oven for about another 10-15 min. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.